Monday, September 12, 2022

Autumn HUES

Day 40—Saturday, September 10—Slater cow pasture to Steamboat Springs, CO

61 miles; cold night, subfreezing temps, tent covered in frost


Frosty morning

First 12 miles were a climb up to a beautiful high valley; second 12 miles continued up this watershed through a range of landscapes: gorges, pasture, scrub oak and other shade.  Almost out of water I stopped to filter Slater Creek which was a little dubious given the number of cattle.  Pick your poison: dehydration or the risk of ingesting Giardia. I took the water.


Selfie to prove to myself that I am doing this trip 



What lies around the next corner is one of the compelling aspects of this ride



Are all CO snakes headless and tailless?



Higher elevation and additional irrigation

Climbed up to 10,000 feet today on the first day of gun hunting season: muzzle loaders. At Brush Mountain Lodge they were no longer hosting bikers since hunting season had begun, but the host at the lodge tossed me a soda. Lots of guys in camouflage and orange hats. I spoke with one at the Lodge who said they had killed two elk that morning. 



Cows are everywhere. The look they give you: “hmm, about that burger you ate…”



Jake with his broke-down truck. Guy had amazing teeth. He told me to look out for rattlesnakes…now where is my snake spray?


Gorgeous high valley


 I am not a horse whisperer, but a snake screamer: “Get off the road and save yourself!” This guy probably went right back to sunning in the road.


The hues of autumn are everywhere
 


Aspen allée 

Continued to climb through aspen, fields of waving timothy and groves of spruce and fir. The last two miles got ridiculous and went straight up with dislodged rocks. I pushed, which is no less tiring. Finally summiting at about 10,000 feet, I looked forward to the brisk descent on the other side, even with my compromised brakes. I was able to squeeze a little power from my rear brakes and that helped.


Last two miles of the climb looking up the trail.  Yeah, I think I am pushin’



This is looking back over the last stretch:  steeper than it looks



View from the top

Unfortunately the road down was a 6-7 mph gauntlet of large rocks in a road that was in very poor condition. Between the stretches of rocks were pits of soft sand that were no less treacherous. Really unsatisfying and hard on the neck and back.


Typical of the descent side: pretty crazy

I hit a patch of sand and went down immediately doing a somersault and almost continuing over the side of the hill. Despite skinning my knee I was fortunate to be able to get back up and ride. Too much fun. Finally the road improved and it deposited me on a much better maintained gravel road that provided a wonderful descent into Taylor where I stopped at the only store to get cold tea and an ice cream sandwich.


Coming down to Taylor

In Taylor I ran into Michael from Germanywho I had met briefly in Montana as he passed the Llama Ranch—and Cory from Chicago. They were continuing on to Steamboat Springs that afternoon (now 5 pm) which was about 18 miles away.


Cultivated valley between Taylor and Steamboat



Vernacular Barn


Exquisite barn



Fortunately the road was generally downhill and we made it to Steamboat Springs in less than 90 minutes. We stayed at the KOA nearby: interesting ”camping experiences” if you are not familiar. But they had showers and laundry: adding dinner to the chores made up my Saturday night festivities!


1 comment: