Saturday, July 30, 2022

Remembering my friend Tim Tiernan

 

On my cross-country bike ride in 1985, I started out with my good friend Tim Tiernan who I went to school with at Berkeley. We connected in Lone Pine, a small town in California’s Owens Valley after I burned through the Mojave Desert (literally). We proceeded on and through Death Valley (pictured above) which is probably one of the most stunning landscapes on earth especially if you are on two wheels (and if you like the desert). 

After many years of work, living on opposite coasts, and raising kids, we saw each other infrequently but always picked up where we left off. I last saw Tim in February, 2019 when we met in Las Vegas and then retraced (by car) our Death Valley route and, as two old farts often do, we impressed ourselves that we accomplished that 1985 ride. We picked up where we left off. We talked about everything including the possibility of riding the Great Divide Mountain Bike Ride together, and he had agreed to join me for at least part of the journey. 

Tim Tiernan in his element; two Tims at Darwin Falls, Katie & Tim in the Owens Valley.

Tim succumbed to cancer in 2020. He was a skilled teacher and mentor in Bishop, CA in the shadow of Mt. Whitney. He worked with kids who needed an extra boost and attention to get through the day and to excel and thrive in their school experience. 

He had wavy red hair, pale skin, a terrific mustache, and earned the nickname “bobber” (as in the fishing accessory) when he was a camp counselor. So, to honor his memory, I will attach a bobber to my bike and carry his memory and friendship for the length of the trip. He was also a loving partner to Katie Quinlan and an amazing father to Bryce and Marty. I will be thinking of his family as well.


Tim’s gift of teaching connects with the mission of Apprentice Learning, the educational group I am fundraising for on this ride. The motto of AL is “Ignite Purpose” and this is also its mission.

Educators and organizations who care about the struggles that kids face work very hard to bridge the gap between opportunity and structural disadvantages. Tim did this. My current riding partner Noreen does this. Apprentice Learning is doing this.

On the eve of my departure for this next adventure, I remember Tim Tiernan, whose heart was as expansive and beautiful as the American West.

1 comment:

  1. Hopping on to this feed a bit late. Extremely excited for you, my friend. What a great nod to Tim T.'s memory.

    Thank you for sharing.

    Joe D.

    ReplyDelete