Sunday, July 24, 2022

The ITINERARY

I’m flying from Boston to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada on July 31, taking a day to acclimate and then hitting the road. We’ll take a week from Jasper to Banff and try to secure “first-come-first served” campsites along the way and take in some hikes. 

The best-laid “plan” is to be near the Mexican border by the last week in September. The deadline for me is to be in Denver on October 1 or 2, five days before the wedding of my younger son and his fiancé. You know what they say about best-laid plans. So many contingencies: weather, drought (access to water), fires, small mechanical issues, large mammals, old knees and hips. The official story is that wherever I am on September 30, I will grab a bus or a plane and head up to Denver. No doubt flexibility and planning is crucial: fires, even distant ones, can be a health (smoke) and safety hazard and reconfiguring a route may be required, which is a little more difficult to do on a bike.

By the way, this isn’t my first rodeo. More about my prior long-distance biking experience in the next post. But here’s a photo from that earlier cross-country bike ride. 

Can you guess the year?


That's me in the middle with my good friend Rick from Oakland, CA and Sven from Hamburg, Germany,  who we met along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment