Monday, August 22, 2022

Still CLIMBING

Day 20Sunday, Aug 21Cottonwood Lake to Lincoln

58 miles


Coming out of the mountains to a broad plain

I’m realizing that riding the serious ascents and descents of the trail that passes through Montana, I am better off in the 40 mile max range. Anything over that and I am pretty well spent by the end of the day. Helena is 60 miles away and two continental divide crossings stand between me and the capital city. I'm planning to break up the leg into two days and take it a little easier. When the trail flattens out (comparably) in a few days, perhaps I can add more miles.

I am counting on the hospitality of strangers in Helena through WarmShowers.org where I hope to take a day off.

Sunday's ride was a mixture of coming out of the mountains to cross a broad grassy plain and then ramp up for a 2,000 foot climb.  Rode with Tom from Missoula for a few miles who had actually started the Tour Divide race earlier this year but pulled out due to snow and risk.  Needless to say I couldn’t keep up with him so pedaled solo most of the day…which I am enjoying.


Big sky country 




In the distance the plain I traversed before climbing 



Still climbing



Racing against some threatening thunderstorms 

Came upon a black bear in the road in the morning who took one look at me and skeddadled into the woods. This was followed by three white tailed deer prancing across the road with their tails raised, brilliant white in the sun; later on as Tom from Missoula was taking off he surprised a mother grizzly and cub who came out into the trail on hind legs to watch him pass about 100 feet in front of me. They saw this weird contraption ambling up the trail and took off into the woods.


Found an RV park in Lincoln by a babbling stream which is a lovely sound day or night. This place has showers, and an irrigated patch of green grass to set up camp. Went to a cowboy bar last night for a hot meal and cold beer. Amazing how much of a luxury refrigeration is when you’re camping in a hot zone. Trump paraphernalia for sale and lots of gun references: friendly people but I definitely felt like a dog out of his element.

We finally got some good rain at Cottonwood Lakes;  good to get the moisture but now everything is a little damp.  Getting a slightly later start this morning to let things dry our a bit (heavy dew last night).

No comments:

Post a Comment