Thursday, September 15, 2022

COLORFUL Colorado

Day 43—Tuesday, September 13—Radium to just south of Silverthorn

58 miles 


Colorful Colorado and the ritual of packing up in the morning which takes about an hour, assuming a cold breakfast. Had tea and oatmeal this morning. Stay away from peaches and cream Quaker Oats instant: ugh, horrible, but calories.

Today promised some serious climbing effort. TJ left on a tear since he was trying to connect with a friend to the south. He planned to avoid Ute Pass and take the highway to save time. From the maps, we (royal) had to do two climbs totaling about 3,500 feet: good practice for the passes to come.

The first 20 miles were up over a watershed divide, then down towards the town of Kremmling. From there, the road took a circuitous route, bypassing Kremmling and going behind the Williams Fork Mountains, then following Reeder Creek up a long valley climbing steadily toward Ute Pass. I met few people along the way and just stuck to climbing. I did see a couple of brilliant mountain bluebirds perched on a pasture fence post. They did not light long enough for me to capture them in a pic; just beautiful and so blue.


Colorado River as we start the climb



Looking back over the valley we just climbed out of 



Looking into the next valley

We passed some reservoirs and then really started to climb in the last five miles:  two lowest gears grinding up to the pass. I was dodging obvious rain squalls all around and searched for some shelter (abandoned house, barn, pig sty, grove of trees) for when it did rain.

I passed some campgrounds that didn’t suit me and then I was in the land of Henderson Mill (a mining operation that looked like a space ship had landed on top of the mountain).  Not sure what they were mining but their proprietary ownership of every inch of land abutting the road made clear that campers were not invited.

I pushed on to the top knowing there was a campground on the other side in the next valley.


In case anyone asks who built this country



My lunch view. State Route 9 runs thru this beautiful valley. I would take the next valley over the Williams Fork Mountains you see beyond



Distant mountains is where I am headed up this long valley; seeing rain but pedaling on




Look closely: each post is topped with a boot. There are many explanations online as to what these mean. Most popular: they are signs of respect for departed family or farm hands.



Gradual climbing



Austin from Michigan who is beta-testing large trucks running on propane as a fuel source. Says he wants to do a similar trip but on a motorcycle…who can blame him!



Crossing Ute Pass looking across valley to the Eagle's Nest National Wilderness

Valley way below; nice downhill


The ride down was spectacularly fun with the next valley before me and the sun setting in a cloudy sky. I was able to dodge the storms and the downhill road from Ute Pass (9,500 ft) deposited me on Route 9 which would have taken me north to Kremmling if I wanted. I chose south toward Silverthorn with exhausted legs, followed a sign to a parking area, which turned out to be a recreation area where camping was allowed.

I found a lovely spot under a pine tree next to the Blue River (from which I had filtered water when I was up by Kremmling earlier in the day).


My tree for the night by the Blue River



“St” John from New York.  Had the goods and was very kind to share!

As I was getting ready to filter more water, John, 29, came by with two beers and a jug of water.  An avid bike packer and now living in a van with his partner, he knew how I felt at the end of the day. He is from upstate New York, has been living the van life for several years, works when he needs to (Amazon) and then travels. He is also an ultramarathoner.

Long day, sun going down, made some food, drank some beer, out like a light.


No comments:

Post a Comment